Tuesday, May 4, 2010

History: rare article on Satan’s Choice MC from 1967

From the archives of Grease Daddy International. A rare article from the Telegram Toronto dated September 23, 1967.

The Satan's Choice MC at one time were the largest English speaking 1% motorcycle club in Canada. (The largest French speaking 1% motorcycle club at that time in Canada were the Popeyes MC.)

Later on in their history they had a split in the club, with half patching over to Outlaws MC, and later the other half patching over to Hells Angels MC.

This article focuses on the Montreal chapter of Satan's Choice. A very notable point of this article is that there is a member of the Invaders MC from Northern Indiana who is partying with Satan's Choice. A very adventurous move for anyone in those days to ride all the way from Indiana to Quebec just to party!

More to come soon...

GREESE DADDY INTERNATIONALのアーカイブから、1967年9月23日付けの
TELEGRAM TORONTOに記載されている珍しい記事です。

かつて、カナダの中で最も英語を使っていた1%のモーターサイクルクラブは
SATAN’S CHOICE MOTORCYCLE CLUBでした。
(その当時のカナダで最もフランス語を使っていた1%のモーターサイクルクラブは
POPEYE’S MOTORCYCLE CLUB でした。)

そのクラブの歴史において、後にそのクラブは分裂し、まず初めに半数は
OUTLAWS MOTORCYCLE CLUBに加わって(PATCHINGをして)、後で残りの半数が
HELLS ANGELS MOTORCYCLE CLUBに加わりました(PATCHINGをしました)。

この記事はSATAN’S CHOICE のモントリオール支部に焦点を置いています。
この記事の非常に注目すべきところは SATAN’S CHOICEとパーティーを楽しんでいる
INVADERS NOTORCYCLE CLUBのメンバーが 北インディアナから来ていることです。

その当時に パーティーに参加するために インディアナからケベックまで、
ずっとバイクに乗り移動する事は 非常に冒険的なことだったのです。

つづく。










19 comments:

  1. I used to be a full fledged member of the Satan's Choice. These pictures were taken around 1968. I joined in 1969. My nickname in in the club was Hippy and I was a member of the Windsor Chapter. The Satan's Choice was part of the Hippy Revolution although there were totally different than the Hippies.

    There are not many of us still alive. I am one of the fortunate ones. I live a pretty good now in the Philippines. Most of my brothers in the club have died or were killed. Many did go over to the Outlaws and the Hell's Angels.

    I had a great time in that club. In the one picture about is Bernie Gienden (sp). He was the president of the National President of the Satan's Choice for many years. The motorcycle club before the Satan's Choice was the "Blue Angles."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking for Donny! Many years gone by. Your ol' Surrey chic. Picked me up hitch-hiking. Then hitch-hiked my heart!! :) Never the less. Are you still kicking??!!! XXOO Snakey

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone ever hear of Spider or Sharky aka the Donnelly brothers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember sharky and frank when I was a kid on vanauley st across the street from the corbetts

      Delete
  5. I was also a member from 1969 til 1974. I moved to the USA in 1975. Good to hear some of us still exist. I still see Bernie his son and Donny at our field events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met a fella named Jim Merritt.Heard he was big in the Choice in the 70's.Did you know of him?

      Delete
    2. Jim Merritt was my grandfather. I'm trying to learn more about him... please contact me !

      Delete
  6. Anybody know a Satan's Choice member, I met in 1974. Can't remember his name. Big guy. Golden brown hair& beard. Born in Karlsruhe , Germany, same as me. I thought he said he was a leader of it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking for info or links about the Hamilton chapter from 73-75. A bunch of the guys lived with my family in Stoney Creek and Hess Village. I always wondered what became of them. I only recall one name... Vance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking for information on the Windsor Choice from 1967-1970 contact me at franko 4444 at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looking for info on the chapter in Toronto near the Junction.. if anyone knows any information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ontario St. Catharines' Chapter. "Mother and Hippie" era supporter. Seeking support for jurisprudence related - an unfortunate situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Did you know a Michael White from the Windsor chapter?

      Delete
  11. grew up with stan mcconnery anyone ever know what happened to him thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wondering Franko/unknown, what ever happened to "Big Bill". I was one of the fringe hippies that hung around Choice in Kitchener. I remember you, tall, long black hair and beard, Hippy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew Stan back in the Russel Hotel days. And of course Mother Garnet McEwen. He was nice (sort of). Lots of crazy dudes in that bunch. Stan was
    was ok. most of the time. Nasty too. But I was never bothered.

    ReplyDelete